[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Evening meteors from the zenith

At 22:30 12/06/02, David Stine wrote:
>Last night around 9:30p.m., my grandson and I were out changing cars,
>when both of us saw this white slow moving object which had to be a
>meteor, but it was different in that it would slowly glide through the
>northern sky with a pronounced head and a broken white trail behind it.

>David Stine
David, with an angular velocity like you have reported, a meteor
is the only possibility. Much too fast for a re-entrying  satellite.
However since you didnt say where you were observing from, other
persons cant answer your question about seeing it to. Meteors are
visible over ranges of several hundred miles, but not much further,
as they begin at about 50 miles altitude.
Tony Beresford