[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) The Annual Lampyridae Meteors

June 25, 2002

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

This past Sunday I was outside until roughly ~10:00
P.M. EDT viewing the seasonal Lampyridae "meteors".
I didn't bother keeping count.  However, The prominent
colors were yellow and a pale green.  Some "skipped",
others zigzagged, while yet others streaked slowly
across the twilight.  I even caught twelve of them
too--- 12 fireflies that is!  Or should I start
labeling them meteor bugs?  I must say, they make for
a nice and relaxing light display to help smooth over
the annual meteor drought.  (I probably haven't seen
an actual meteor since mid/late March!) The fireflies'
silent but beautiful bioluminescent lights really can
mimic many of the characteristics of a real meteor.
If I recall correctly, they did make me shift my head
quickly during some of last year's meteor hunts.

Thus...

1. How confusing have they been to other fellow meteor
hunters?

2. Also, could they possibly be the source for "SOME"
of the reported zigzagging meteors?

Long, glowing trains!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA