[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) A June Bootid Burst In Store?

June 25, 2002

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

Thank you all for your firefly responses!

As many of you know, this Thursday will be the peak of
the June Bootids meteor shower!   This shower was the
first one that had I posted a report for, on meteorobs
or elsewhere.  This was last year, and right before
the peak, Mr. Mark Davis had posted a June Bootid
campaign notice, urging meteor observers to keep an
eye on this quite variable, minor shower.  As a
result,  I decided to monitor any possible surprises.
I can still remember that night blessed with clear
skies and a beautifully high radiant.  Still, I only
saw one sporadic throughout the whole observing
session.  At the time I felt rather certain that it
was a June Bootid, but later learned that it was most
likely  a sporadic.  I hadn't realized that a meteor's
path length was valuable in determining what meteor
belonged to what shower (if any).

In any event, since I was not a member of this fine
list at the time,  Mr. Lew Gramer kindly forwarded my
report to meteorobs and asked if I wanted to join.
Well, here I am and still observing!

Thus, I have a few questions concerning the June
Bootids for this year:

1. Are there any indications of a possible burst,
close to or like the dazzling 1998 display?

2. About what time will it be opportune for observing
during this year's peak night, while naturally
considering the moon as a factor?  My coordinates are
43 deg. 27' N.,  85 deg. 49' W.

Although I am interested in beholding this shower, I
have hardly an idea yet if I will actually make it out
and look.  I have been very busy lately, and have
missed so many spectacular meteor showers due to lousy
weather.

Long, glowing trains!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA