[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) fireflies

I was evaluating a dark sky site possibility. It was near Columbia, S.C.back in 1977. It was south of the city on some farm land near the Congaree river. We were within a half mile of the river on our west. The entire river bank was engulfed in tall trees. The river flowed southward about a half mile and then bent eastward. As soon as the sun set we had dew on the roof of the car so the site didnt appear very promising. In twilight I began to notice peculiar activity in the tree line to the south. My binoculars revealed fireflies numbering in the thousands in a single field of view. For a couple of hundred yards east and west along the river they presented an overwhelming light show. Occaisionally, nature rewards us in a special way for our long hours under the stars.
Tom