[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) The Annual Lampyridae Meteors

June 26, 2002

Greetings Mr. Wayne T Hally and Fellow Meteor
Enthusiasts!

Believe or not, there are many different kinds of
fireflies, (~1,900 species worldwide, ~140 US &
Canada) each with their own light signals too!

In my area, I have noticed two "apparently" different
types.  Some are small and usually blink off and on
rather quickly.  I think these types produce more of a
yellowish light than green.  Then there are some that
seem to dwell right by the edge of our lake rather
than farther in the woods.  These fireflies are
noticeably larger and have a brighter light, appearing
more green than yellow.  Thus, they are the most
bothersome in my mind.  Often the lights from the
large types streak across the sky rather than blink.
Although I am not certain, they also seem to fly
higher in the night sky than the smaller ones,
becoming even more meteor like. .

Long, glowing trains!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA