[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Not another 'Leonids 2000???'

They have talked a lot this year so far about the Leonids for this
upcoming November.  I have a suggestion, lets go to Hawaii this year:-)
____________________________________
:
: >
: >
 Langbroek: Marco also made some predictions or estimates about this
: > year's
: > activity, he also posted them here on 'meteorobs' saying:
: >
: > - 7 revs trail ZHR 2500 minimum to 7100 maximum
: > - 4 revs trail ZHR 3000 minimum to 6500 maximum
: >
: > ....with chances best that the minimum figures are the ones to go
for, he
: > suggests, especially for the 7 rev trail.
: >
:
: Hi Jure and others,
:
: I should ad that the paper with this forecast has now been accepted
by the
: Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society and should appear
somewhere
: this summer.
:
: In all honesty, I guess we are still in a stage where predictions are
not
: foolproof, and we just have to wait and see. We can discuss a lot
now, which
: indeed can become very confusing, but clarity about the issue will
only come in
: November...and maybe even then... And it will only come if people
WATCH and
: report. Of course, I hope my avenue into this issue has some value.
If I am
: correct in what I point out in my paper, then I should not expect the
very high
: rates some predicted (of order 10 000 - but I think David and Rob no
longer
: support that value either) to become true. Well, the only thing we
all can do
: is go out and SEE coming November. For what appears to be something
on which
: EVERYBODY agrees, is that we'll get a very nice show again, with
certainly very
: entertaining rates. Mind you, while not in full agreement about the
level of
: activity, all predictions do predict rates at at least minor storm
levels. Now,
: if you are a pessimist (or a realist perhaps...) then you would keep
in mind
: that of course ALL predictions could be wrong too... Well, we'll
see...
:
: Marco
: