[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Mark Davies thx for being accepted and some inf. about fireball!

Thanks for your welcome warm words. Surely that I'm really interested into the subject. In fact, I'm an amauter in astronomy, but I'm a dedicated sky observer for such a long time ago.

So, today, being part of 'Obs News' (why not), I can get as many information as necessary, which have been added lots to my needs and interests. So, being part of this important team, is very notable and very scientific.

Actually, my main procedures is dedicating myself reading as much as I can, so that, I can recover many years of lost time.

So, as you know, I live in Recife, Pernambuco, Bra Norteast, E W, (Litoral), and just some miles away from the 'zero point' of my town, where it begins and where it was first settled.

As I am reading, folks are really into lampyridae. Well, for reasons of geographic orientation and different seasons (Winter), I'm just getting a wonderful moon light. But just when I do not have rains. Anyway, it's superb! So, for this and for many other things this 'ObsNews', becomes very informative and valuable.

Marco

Now comes one thing which I believe is the reason why we're all at Meteorobs. One day of 1996, driving to the South area of my State, about 80 Km away from Recife, PE, just by 9:15 p.m. (Brazil Time), aproximately, dark sky, road unloaded, just two trucks ahead, but not too close, and up to take a long, but not very angled curve, I just look at East (shore), but distant from the sea, I observed one of the most brilliant phenomena that I could take a chance to see in my entire life. I saw, what I understand as, a "Meteor".

It was very close to my left window car view, coming from the East, as I mentioned above. While driving, I could see the fireball in all its splendour! it had a short tail (I think due to the fact that it was close to hit the ground and thus to become a meteorite), in yellow color on the most. I remember very well to look at its front ball. It had no differences from the tail (all yellow).

It was so close to my car, even considering Earth curvature, and its effects to an observer, that I spent some seconds just being marvellous at my 'momentum'. Right after, I started horning in hopes that, at least, one of the truck's driver could notice that burning lite so close to us. Worthlessly. None of then, showed any signal that they were able to see what I was seeing at that time.

In short, as I tried to report here; is that I had a chance to see one meteor which was very close to hit the hills just some miles away from the highway where I was at. I believe, that the angle that it appeared and rushed, there's a possibility to meet of what remained from the meteor. If so, it is there, not so distant from the road, and that became a meteorite among the Tropical Forest that surroundings that special and very particular night.

My question is: As I nearly have the place identificable, and as I pass by there almost one day a week, is there any possibility to have any electronic material to patrol the place where it occured? Hard, but not impossible to ask you, since the meteor was big enough and very close to my observation view. Remains the question.

Well, I tried to post this report to you, and as a new member, I'm not so confident if I posted it in the right way. So, if you consider this as important as it was for me, and if there's any Obs fellow you think interested  to read about it, I think, he/she will get it somehow.

Dark, clear, and no rainy skies!!!!!

Marco Valois

P.S. - Finally, Sara Otto member posted me a very nice an email. I tried to answer her, but it returned informing that "the receiver is out of the list". So, if you meet her, explain that I got her electronic letter. It was very polite! That's her Email: svotto@fastol.com