[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Hunt of June 27/28 ---Need Advice!

June 28, 2002

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

After lots of deciding, I finally dragged myself
outside for some June Bootid meteor hunting, the first
observations I have done in a long time.  I spent
roughly 1.4 hours TEFF, between the wee hours of
2:15 - 3:40 P.M. EDT.  Sadly, LM was only 5.0 most of
the time.  The moon was naturally the main factor for
this, but in part it may also have been due to haze.

Well, at least the fireflies kept me company!  That's
about all in the way of "streaking lights" I saw.  No
true, "definite" meteors were seen during the whole
time!  However, I once again saw many satellites,
rolling along their merry way towards the southern and
northern parts of the night sky.  I hope other
observers had better luck!

Now, this is where I need to ask a couple important
questions that have been on my mind before, and
probably by other observers as well:

1. Should I still post the observations?

2. Is such a report still considered valuable?

Before I go, I would also like to say that there is a
possibility I may indeed have seen a few "meteors"
during this meteor watch, although I am far from
certain.  I will explain later by just what I mean.
Be prepared for a possible mystery!  The night sky can
be so full of them!

Long, glowing trains!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA
Coordinates: 43 deg. 27' N., 85 deg. 49' W