[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) The Existence Of Super-Fast Meteors

June 30, 2002

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

This e-mail is in reference to my June 27/28
observations.   Although I reported seeing not a
single "conclusive" meteor during the whole watch, I
still may have seen a couple...  This is where I would
like to talk about the existence of super-fast
meteors.  Now, I am not simply implying meteors of
speed 5, or a fast Leonid; I am instead talking about
the meteors that you thought you didn't see; the ones
so fast that they last only a split second at most---
not long enough for many observers to attribute them
as meteors.   I possibly could have seen as many as
three of these suspected meteors.  I know something
clicked in my noodle during those instances, and
hesitate the possibility that they were just brought
upon by weariness or the like.  Is it possible that
there does exist super-fast meteors greater than the
commonly used 1-5 speed scale, ones so fast that they
have gone undetected by many observers, or attributed
to a number of physical factors?

Long, glowing, super-fast meteors!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA
Coordinates: 43 deg. 27' N, 85 deg. 49' W