[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

R: (meteorobs) The Existence Of Super-Fast Meteors

From: Mark Fox <unclefireballmtf@yahoo.com>
To: <meteorobs@atmob.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 30, 2002 10:56 PM
Subject: (meteorobs) The Existence Of Super-Fast Meteors

> June 30, 2002

This is where I would
> like to talk about the existence of super-fast
> meteors.  Now, I am not simply implying meteors of
> speed 5, or a fast Leonid; I am instead talking about
> the meteors that you thought you didn't see; the ones
> so fast that they last only a split second at most---
> not long enough for many observers to attribute them
> as meteors.   I possibly could have seen as many as
> three of these suspected meteors.  I know something
> clicked in my noodle during those instances, and
> hesitate the possibility that they were just brought
> upon by weariness or the like.  Is it possible that
> there does exist super-fast meteors greater than the
> commonly used 1-5 speed scale, ones so fast that they
> have gone undetected by many observers, or attributed
> to a number of physical factors?
> Mark Fox

It's many years that Astronomers known meteor showers
with extra-parabolic speeds then with extra-solar origin,
the two better known radiants are in Orion and Sagittarius
from the nucleus of Milk Way and from his opposite,
their speeds are between 80-120 Km/sec, BUT this
meteors are saw only by radio (visual magnitude +7, +8
and more) perhaps sometime some of this meteors
can to be see by eyes.
Roberto Gorelli