[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation June 12/13 2002

Hi everyone,

Here's a long overdue report from a short session I had in early
June.  I was observing at Casselman on June 12/13 on the hour
centered near midnight local time.  I had some problems with a few
passing clouds that resulted in an average of 10-15% sky obstruction
in my field of view for about 25 minutes.

I was plotting to find out if there would be any activity from the
June Lyrids or Xi Draconids radiants.  Before I "signed-on" I even
had the impression that a casual meteor seen on the corner of my eye
could have been a Xi Draconid.

Although I did not see any shower members while recording for over an
hour, I did get 5 sporadics.  The brightest was a fast magnitude 0.
The others were relatively faint.

Pierre Martin
Ottawa, Ontario

DATE: June 12/13 2002
BEGIN: 0337 UT (2337 EDT)  END: 0448 UT (0048 EDT)
OBSERVER: Pierre Martin (MARPI)
LOCATION: Long: -75.063 West; Lat: 45.269 North  Elevation:50m
City & Province: Casselman, Ontario, CANADA
RECORDING METHOD: talking clock/tape recorder

OBSERVED SHOWERS:_______________________________________radiant position
		SAG (Sagittarids antihelion source)_____1836 -23
		JLY (June Lyrids)_______________________1832 +35
		XDR (Xi Draconids)______________________1832 +55
		SPO (random sporadics)

OBSERVING PERIODS: 0 = none seen;  / = shower not observed

PERIOD(UT)__FIELD____Teff__LM____SPO_XDR_JLY_SAG

0337-0448___1657+09__1.12__6.25__5___0___0___0

The first column (Period UT) refers to observing periods broken down
as close as possible to one hour of true observing, in Universal
Time. The second column (Field) is the area in in the sky where I
centered my field of view. The third column (TEFF) represents
effective observing time (corrected for breaks or any time I did not
spent looking at the sky). One hour = 1.00 teff. The fourth column
(LM) is the average naked eye limitimg magnitude, determined by
triangle star counts. All following columns indicate the number of
meteors for each shower observed.
------------------------

MAGNITUDE DISTRIBUTIONS:

SHOWER

SPO: +0(1) 1(0) +2(0) +3(1) +4(2) +5(1) AVE: +3.20

Note: Magnitude scale is to determine the brightness of sky objects.
Magnitude -8 is comparable to a quarter moon, magnitude -4 with the
planet Venus, magnitude -1 with the brightest star Sirius, magnitude
+2 to +3 with most average naked eye stars and magnitude +6 to +7 are
the faintest stars the naked eye can see under typical dark
conditions. A meteor of at least magnitude -3 is considered a
fireball.  The above table contains the magnitudes from all observed
meteors, and the average (last column) for showers.

SKY OBSCURED:
10% from 0402 to 0414 UT , 20% from 0414 to 0423 UT , 5% from 0423 to 0427 UT

Corresponding F value for this session is 1.08

Dead time: 3.58 minutes (0.58 min used for plots)

Breaks (UT): 0348-0351 UT