[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs)

Among inexperienced and even among those of moderate experience - I have heard meteors referred to as very fast etc. These are attributed to meteors of the same shower.
Of course, they are referring to the time span that the meteor was visible whether they are intending to or not.  I consider this to be one of the more difficult 'illusions' that observers must overcome.
So, the grazer that takes 6 or 8 seconds to traverse the sky is moving just as fast as the steep entry meteor observed as the radiant rises high in the sky. Foreshortened meteors should appear slower as their angular velocity is less but more often they are referred to as swift since they burn up fast in a steep entry.
Trans-parabolic speeds while faster would be very difficult to judge as such, unless there were a sufficient number to build an experience base.
Tom