[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) CR events & Fast Meteors

Tom, Andrew, et al.,

In the world of CCD photometry, we call these interactions with energetic
particles CR (Cosmic Ray) events.  It is very improbable that a CR event's
geometry would carry the cosmic ray through the plane of the CCD device,
thus creating a streak.  However, it does happen.  I remember seeing CR
streaks that were 10-20 pixels long on some of my images.  However after
literally thousands of images, I never saw one that went all the way
across.

One way we might tell if it is a CR event is to place a (FAST!) rotating
shutter in front of the video lens.  If it is a meteor, it will be
interrupted.  If it is a CR, it will continue uninterrupted across the
frame.

Another way to differentiate between a CR and a meteor would be to mask
off small regions of the optical system such that no light is striking the
CCD chip at say, the edges (you could equally well choose a couple of
small strips across the center of the image, like cross-hairs).  If it is
a meteor, the streak will NOT continue into the masked region.  If it is a
CR, the streak WILL continue into the masked region.

I look forward to hearing what these streaks are!  Good luck!

Good skies,
Matthew

>Andrew et al.
>
>I'm wondering if an object that appears to be moving that fast (single
frame) might be the result of >some energetic particle interacting with
the recording device -  in a manner similar to the way our >retina reacts.
>I'm way out on a limb of ignorance here. If anyone has some knowledge
here to reinforce or >refute this speculation, please feel free...