[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) CR events & Fast Meteors, Clarification

I think I need to clarify a statement I made in my last letter...

I said, "It is very improbable that a CR event's geometry would carry the
cosmic ray through the plane of the CCD device, thus creating a streak."

What I meant to convey here was a sense of the improbability of a CR's
flight path to be coplanar with the CCD, thus creating a long streak. On
the other hand, for a CR's flight path to intersect the plane of the CCD
is VERY probable.  It happens all the time.  For example, many tiny
streaks and spots are created on a CCD image of just a few minutes
exposure.

Matthew