[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) The Existence Of Super-Fast Meteors

----- Original Message -----
From: Andrew Schott <aschott@cfl.rr.com>
Subject: Re: (meteorobs) The Existence Of Super-Fast Meteors

> I wonder, my rig doesn't just consist of a CCD staring at the sky through
> wide angle lens.  We're using some old 2nd and 3rd Gen image intensifiers
> actually image the meteors and this is then recorded with old-timey
> surveillance cameras that don't have anywhere near the gain of the newer
PC
> class cameras.  I wonder if these old tubes are more or less subceptable
> CR streaking events.

    I'm not convinced this phenomenon is real.  If you are recording these
events with your image intensifiers, one way to prove that they are not an
electronic anomaly or cosmic ray track hit, would be to mount an efficient
transmission diffraction grating on your set-up.  If it produces a spectrum
on your intensifier screen it must have been produced by an outside source,
as light would have to pass through the grating to do this.  I would use a
precision blazed transmission diffraction grating with 100 to 300 g/mm for
your set-up.  Gratings with more rulings are slightly less efficient so the
coarse grating is a better choice as you loose detection sensitivity by
adding an objective dispersive element to your system.  If you have an
objective prism with an angle of 25 to 30 degrees use it, as it is more
efficient than a grating.  Your spectrum, if there is one, will be none
linear, but that is not important in this case.

Ed Majden - AMS Meteor Spectroscopy Project Coordinator