[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: 2002 Leonids

In a message dated 7/4/02 12:32:01 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
lunro.imo.usa@coxdot net writes:

<< I expect rates to be quite low (less than 10/hr) on either side of
 maximum activity. The bright moon will certainly not help! One must
 remember that the night of maximum activity will be November 18/19 this
 year and not 17/18 as it has been in year's past. That one day will make
 a big difference! >>

    I was in southern Arizona (just outside of Benson) last November for the
Leonids, and was very surprised at the paucity of activity in the two nights
leading up to the peak.  In fact, I saw just one Leonid in the two hours that
I was out before dawn on the morning of the 16th, and only four in three
hours of observing on the morning of the 17th.  Of course, we more than made
up for it on the peak night, when during one half-hour interval I was seeing
meteors coming at one every or second or two . . . sometimes three or four
simultaneously!

-- joe rao