[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Use of Radio Meteor data

Dear Radio Meteor Observers,

I am a ham radio operator and have a Radio Meteor setup running 24 hours a
day in central Florida. This is a fully automated system monitoring the TV
channel 4- video carrier (67.240 Mz). A computer controlled "Icom PCR-1000"
receiver has been modified to bring out a signal from the RSSI line to a
control box and then into a "DATAQ" Analog to Digital Converter, then to my
computer. The receiver audio output uses Digital Signal Processing (DSP) to
greatly reduce lightning and other random noise. This audio is also fed
into the control box where it is used to control the record threshold level
of the RSSI voltage into the DATAQ converter, thus recording data only when
there is a clean meteor reflection.

Before further refining the hardware and software of this station it would
be helpful to have a better understanding of the final use of the recorded
data. It has been interesting to look at the data stored on the RMOB site
-- http://www.rmob.org/ -- and other sites but so far I have been unable to
find much information about how this data is actually being analyzed for
practical use.

I am aware of some of the most common things that affect the purity of
data, such as lightning (and local electrical noise), enhanced propagation
(Es, tropo and other weather factors), as well as daily and yearly
variations in sporadic events. What other factors may cause variations in
the recorded data? Does space weather (solar activities) affect radio
meteor count? Has any study been done on possible effects of "eleven year"
sun spot cycles?

I take it that one of the main uses of the data is to help define the
various meteor streams throughout the year. How has it been used to study
other aspects of meteors? Has it been used to study sporadic meteors
(excluding the stream meteors)? What methods have been used in analyzing
the raw data?

What parameters are most useful to record for future analysis; events per
hour, duration of all events per hour, strength of each event, power (area
under the curve), or what others? This information would be helpful in
redesigning the software being used here.

A discussion on this mailing list of these and related subjects would be
appreciated as well as references to existing Web sites and printed
literature that would deal with actual and possible uses of the radio
meteor data.

Thank you very much,

(Bob)
Robert E. Meyer