Subject: kansas meteor july 17?
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 14:57:08 -0700
From: "Colm Kelleher" <nids@anvdot net>
To: <lunro.imo.usa@coxdot net>

Dear Sir,

I am trying to determine if a meteor was detected entering near Hays
Kansas at about 9.00 AM Kansas time on July 17.

We have just received a report from a Southwest Airlines pilot
travelling westbound from Kansas to Las Vegas regarding an extremely
bright and large "meteor". The aircraft was about 100 nautical
miles East of Hays, Kansas when the object appeared in the upper left
part of the aircraft windshield travelling very rapidly in a downward
trajectory. The Captain could see a blackish object of considerable size
followed by a fiery tail. He saw it strike the ground near Hays, Kansas.
Two other airliners, a Delta and an American Airlines also called this
into air-traffic control. The time of the event was approx. 9 AM Kansas
time on July 17, 2002.

If you give me this information or you can put me in touch with an
appropriate organization that can detect meteors, I would be grateful.

Sincerely

Colm A Kelleher

NIDS