[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: best Perseid site

Over here in the UK we will get the August 12, 22:30 UT peak one and a half
hours before midnight local time but i might have the chance to go 2-3
time-zones east so as the peak occurs at around 01.30 local time.

Is there a *big* advantage to the peak being after midnight local time
aside to the obvious increase in radiant height?

I know that before local midnight time less meteors catch up with and burn
up in the atmosphere compared to after local midnight... so how large would
the increase be for an observer 1.5 hours after midnight local time as
compared to another observing the same peak at another location east where
local time is 1.5 hours before midnight,assuming the radiant was at the
same height at both locations?

Would faster meteors(ie Perseids) be better in this respect than meteors
from other showers which are slower? Being faster more should catch up i
guess but would the difference between rates at the two locations stay the
same for other showers?