[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) photo of a meteor

On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, R. Gorelli wrote:

> In the following site (in section CONGIUNZIONI) you can see a meteor
> rotating elong his traiectory:
>
> http://www.lazzarotti.lunigianadot it/cielo.html

This image doesn't have the quality of a meteor on a CCD image.  The
profile is too sharp as it should be "softer" than the stars.  Also, you
will note that the star images are trailed.  I'd suspect that the image
has an explanation along the lines of a satellite image trailing upwards
or downwards with a side to side variation caused by periodic error
in the drive.  If it is a satellite then a check can be made for a known
object if the date, time and location is given for the image.

Cheers, Rob