[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Looking for site NW of Dayton, OH

Meteor Wayne asks:

> Hi folks, could use a little help here.
> During the New Moon week (Aug 5-9) I will be on company business about 40
> miles NW of Dayton Ohio (Greenville?). I'd love to be able to observe
> there, especially since light pollution should be less than here than home
> (except toward Dayton, I guess). If anyone has any suggestions of where I
> might be able to go, please let me know.

For the Dayton area, try contacting Wade Allen of the Miami Valley
Astronomical Society, at (513)-275-7431.  Website is at http://www.mvas.org.
He is also the contact person for the Apollo Observatory at the Dayton
Museum of Natural History, 2600 Deweese Parkway, Dayton.

I have never met him in person, but have spoken to him on the phone several
different years when I was (ahem) taking a break from meteors, and spending
the Perseid max week at Vandalia, Ohio for a world sporting event.  His
group usually does meteor observing from a forest site outside Dayton.
Scheduled observing nights are listed on their website, and you could ask
him about other nights.

While in the Dayton area, try to take in a tour of their observatory and
museum.  They also have a small, but friendly planetarium show that they put
on! :)

Try also to visit the United States Air Force Museum, at the
Wright-Patterson Air Force Base at Dayton - they have a great collection of
both aircraft and spacecraft.  Their website is at
http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum.

(Of course, should you be inclined to take a look at a world class sporting
event, the 2002 Grand American Trap Shoot runs from August 8-17 this year,
at Vandalia, across the runways from the Dayton airport.  The event gets
over 4000 competitors from around the globe.  Visitors are welcome to come
in and watch!)

- Cathy Hall
  Metcalfe, Ontario, Canada
 (known to do 'short detours' on occasion to other places on the globe!)