[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) Perseids

I've looked some things up using Budapest as location. For the rates I've
used the data from "Meteor Activity I" by Peter Jenniskens: ZHR max = 85,
Peak at August 13, 03:07 UT. IMO has the peak a couple of hours earlier
(22:30 UT) and I've seen maximum ZHRs mentioned of 100 and even 120.

For Budapest:

august		11/12		12/13		13/14
darkness start	21:51		22:13		22:36
astro twilight	03:28		03:30		03:33
darkness end	04:18		04:19		04:21
ZHR midnight	49.1		76.4		59.3
Visual at AT	36.1		56.3		43.8

darkness start = moon below horizon, no nautical twilight
astro twilight = beginning of astronomical twilight
Visual at AT   = estimated visual rate (meteors per hour)
			at beginning of astronomical twilight.

The estimated is made using the radiant elevation at the time, the ZHR at
the time and an LM estimate for the location and time (the actual used value
is 6.3) I known that away from Budapest and Lake Balaton Hungary can be
pretty dark, so the estimate could be okay.

While these are all estimates, it should give you an idea of what can be
expected.

Daniel