[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Point Fireball over Hawaii island

Last night I was up on Mauna Kea observing variables and the new comet (2002 O4 - surprisingly bright already at m1=9.2!) At 10:23 pm I noticed a bright flash from the south over Mauna Loa. Turning quickly, I saw the ending of what appeared to be a -8 mag nearly-point fireball! It came from the Ara/Norma border region just south of Scorpio's tail... No persistent train was evident, probably due to the extremely short path.

BTW, any thoughts on a possible meteor trail encounter with this new comet Hoenig? (2002 O4)

Aloha & clear skies,
Mike