[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation 08-09 August

After reading Bert Matous' comments regarding his observing session in
Kansas, I decided that this would be the evening to take advantage of the
excellent (for August in Kentucky and Indiana) weather conditions we've been
having here.

I took two observing periods for a TEFF of 1.48 hours as noted below.

Period        LM        Meteor        Const        Mag        Color
Direction        Notes

0209 UT    4.5-3.0  start
LM  3.0 toward Perseus/Cass

02:19:29                    PER            Cep            0            White
south                at zenith

0313           4.5-3.0  STOP

0400           4.5-3.0    start

04:04:00                    PER            Cass-Umin    2          Yellow
west

04:08:30                    PER            Cygn                5
Yellow      south

04:12:30                    PER            Cep                1
White      s.west                      :02 persistant train

04:19:20                    SPO            Cep                1
Blue            north

04:30                           stop

Tools: notepad, shortwave radio tuned to WWV for time check and WWVB "atomic
clock", Planisphere, "Skylight" night vision flashlight. Guest: our Yorkie
terrier "Taz"

Very good  conditions for August. Low humidity and light winds have vastly
improved sky conditions. Variation in LM due to bright light dome from
Louisville, KY 12 Km to northeast of my home. To the south and west LM down
near 5.0 with very good definition on Milky Way. Unfortunately Perseus rises
into the western limb of this light pollution. Observing site: 300 meters
AMSL at Elizabeth, Harrison County, Indiana.

Between observing sessions I did a test run on some ASA 100 film. Sunday and
Monday nights will likely be much more humid...and NOAA is predicting partly
cloudy with scattered evening Thundershowers

Clear skies (and bright Perseids!)

Mark S. Williams
k9gx@n4gn.com
Elizabeth, In