From: Skywayinc@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2002 20:41:19 EDT
To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: (meteorobs) Letter to Reader's Digest

Here is a letter I recently wrote to Reader's Digest.  Perhaps some of you also saw the Melville article . . .

ATT: You Said It, Reader's Digest

      The short article by Greg Melville on stargazing that appeared in your August issue ("See Tonight's Star-Studded Show," page 191) unfortunately failed to mention an increasing problem for stargazers both young and old: light pollution. Literally hundreds upon millions of precious watts are wasted each year because poorly designed streetlamps send a portion of their light into the sky. Over the past two decades, the increase in this ubiquitous, overbright, garish lighting has so polluted our nighttime environment that a majority of the current generation has never seen the Milky Way.

   Unfortunately, having a "simple sky guide" as Mr. Melville suggests - like H.A. Rey's constellation book - will do no good if you can't see the stars and constellations thanks to bright lights. The "60 streaks per hour" that Mr. Melville quoted for the August Perseid shower probably will amount to just a fraction of that figure for most folks who must compete with the perpetual light blight that hangs over most of our towns and cities.

   Fortunately, there is an organization that is trying to fight light pollution: The International Dark Sky Association (IDA).  Certainly their URL ( www.darksky.org ) should also have been given a mention in Mr. Melville's piece. Sadly, if light pollution is allowed to continue to proliferate we ultimately will lose our view of the night sky - the next endangered natural resource.  Indeed, a generation from now, if the current siege of "light blight" goes unchecked, seeing the stars will be reduced to a museum rendition, with your local planetarium becoming our children's only view of the universe.

-- Joe Rao
  Meteorologist
  News 12 Westchester
  6 Executive Plaza