[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) grazer geometry

I will volunteer an explanation of the grazers. Should I make a mistake, I would ask some of the more experienced observers here to jump right in and correct any errors. Thanks

A grazing meteoroid particle  encounters the Earth's atmosphere at a angle of entry approaching zero degrees. This is because the radiant source of the meteor stream is on the horizon (or near it) for the particular location of the observer. Later, when the radiant is high overhead the particles enter at a steep angle, encounter denser atmosphere quickly, and burn up more quickly. Their path is short.  Grazers are doing just that, skimming along the thinnest part of the atmosphere, barely intruding and therefore expend their mass over a longer burn path.
For those comfortable with geometry, the path is tangential to the Earth's atmosphere at the point of entry.

The circumstances necessary to a tangential burn are somewhat limiting and so grazers are fairly rare but their spectacular nature makes it worth the long wait.
I have seen two grazing Perseids from south texas and 8 Leonid grazers - 2 in 1998 and 6 in 2001.
I caught two of the Leonid grazers on film last year but they are unspectacular on film. They resemble satellite images taken on long exposures.
4 of the Leonids last year were horizon-to-horizon, the rest ran about 120 degrees.
Hope this helps.
Tom