[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Perseids 8/10-11

I confirm Eric's info. from KS

More detailed report later, but I ran w/my daughter 73 miles NW
of Overland Park to Winchester, KS area and finally found some
zs 6.0 skies.  We watched from 1135 to 205 am local time, Aug.
10/11.  My concensus was that activity was stronger TWO nights
before!

We did get a -4 Perseid, a orange to violet with two terminal bursts,
at 144am, with a 43 second train, going west thru Ursa Minor, that
would have been under or near the horizon for the Louisberg observatory
group at that time.

My daughters counts were 41 meteors total in 2.5 hrs.
counts of her Perseids were 3 & 7 in the full hours and 4 in the
last half hour.  Around 100 am she saw a nice BLUE sporadic
in the low SSW moving E thru Scorpio and Sag., this meteor might
have been high in the West for the Louisberg, KS group.  She said
it was very slow and split into 5 fragments.

My counts were not much higher, I thought the Iota Aq.s were going
to put on a nice show, with some the first hour, but then they sputtered
out, Apex activity was present from the N branch, and my
Perseid counts were -

1135-1235am CST - 3 Perseids
1235-0135am CST - 5 Perseids
0135-0205am CST - 7 Perseids

That is all for now, it looks iffy round here for tonite, even WORSE for
tomorrow night for a 350-400 mile radius.  Western KS looks like my
best bet if I run tonite.

I was NOT IMPRESSED with the activity I saw, some of the worst
night-night and a half before max activity I have ever seen from the
Perseids, ever.

You were right on the money Dr. Flescher on activity last night from KS!

Regards,

Bert Matous
Overland Park KS