[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Lousy Perseids!

I was taking Opik multi-count data for purposes of calibrating a meteor
reduction program, so I don't have Perseid counts in the format required
here, but I can certainly say, this year the Perseids were awful! My group
of four observers in Southern Oregon saw about 10 - 12 Perseids per hour
during the two hours from Aug 12 10:00 UT to 12:00 UT. This is one of the
worst Perseid years I have seen in my 38 years of watching them. Skies were
good but not great -- LM of about 5.5. The observers weren't the best,
either -- all of them in their 50s, and I'm the only one with experience. I
haven't yet carried out the detailed analysis, but it's safe to say that
during our observing period, the Perseids were much weaker than we would
have expected.

Chris Crawford