[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Perseids from Hawaii (Aug 12)

Mike Linnolt wrote:
> my planned site on Mauna Kea. But some incredible (and truly
> incredible as anyone who knows Hilo) luck the sky was completely clear
> at my house!!!

That's about a 50-1 shot.  To stay clear, you've won the lottery.  I've
seen to +6.9 in Hilo in very dry conditions.  Plus +6.6 was more typical
when it was clear.  That's looking south on the Keaau side.  North is
badly affected by light pollution from the shopping centres, and towards
Mauna Kea the school sports field has no shielding for evening
observing.  So as a matter of course, I drove up to the saddle of the
volcanoes.

Looking good in southern England tonight after lots of cloudy nights.
I deeply miss the MK skies and am envious of seeing the glow of Kilaeua.
It was always in a quiet state whenever I took visitors to it.

Malcolm