[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Perseids 8/11-12

Well a better morning came but no much greater

Well several people saw the press release in the KC Star newspaper posted for
the meteor shower watch .

We must have had 20-30 adults and children came down at various times of the
night and many stayed to look through the scopes and'/or watch the meteors.

I gave my meteor showers powerpoint 3 times and it worked out well. After the
last one, I took them out to show them where Casseopeia was and where Perseus
would come up. Just as I took them out a bright long  yellow -2 fireball
blazed westward and then another went southwest. They really enjoyed that too
and ooohhed and ahhhhhed.

8/11 late night and morning of 8/12  was better then the night before which
was pretty putrid.
18 Perseids and 3 sporadics between 12  and 2. With the best those first two
although other were bright no real other fireballs some O and 1 mags. Then
the clouds moved in.
Not great but definitely better then the night before. Overall though a very
disappointing performance by a once great shower.

Dr.Eric Flescher (kcstarguy@aol.com)
member, Astronomical Society of Kansas City (ASKC)- Solar System Ambassador
2002- JPL-(Jet Propulsion Lab) and NASA
webmaster Eric's Black Sun Eclipse website -
<ericsblacksuneclipse.com>webmaster,  Satori Astronomy website
<http://members.aol.com/kcstarguy/blacksun/satoriastronomy.htm> -editor-
Black Sun eclipse newsletter (eclipse/astronomy news) to subscribe send email
to blacksuneclipse-subscribe@yahoogroups.com