[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) A Satellite (?)

Hi All!!!

As I posted to the  members of the list - last Saturday - 'there would be an amazing promise of a great number meteor shower here in Recife, PE, BRA'. Unfortunately, I got some rains during the period, and I just couldn't meet some people from the "Space Science" who were promoting the astronomical event.

But according to my usual observations, before being a member of Obs, some meteors may appear during the months starting from September to January. These months are when I am away from downtown during my short trips to the countryside. Anyway, my Saturday night, even without seeing any meteors was great! I came home late, and I just could set up my binoculars to my apropriated view site. I could see some of Pegasus and Orion, I guess.

Now one question (off-topics) comes to me and I pass it to you: During one month ago, up to North, (very N), about 10: 12 p.m., horizon up, I saw I bright lite (white) in front of me. It was big enough, even for my observation site. Very close to me too.The night was a cloud here and there and too much light around. I live downtown, so  I get too much lite pollution. Therefore, using binoculars or naiked eyes, it was there! I'm persistent. With me was a friend of mine, which I gave my binoculars to him to confirm about what I was seeing. He immediately confirmed with such a great happiness. "A very bright lite". It was his first time observing the skies. Well, for some 10 min we kept looking at that stopped bright light. Beautiful!!!

I didn't report to the list this observation yet, because, for sure, that wasn't a meteor, but probably the ISS. I have the International Space track avaliable. Immediately I went back home in order to obtain more details about what I saw among my calculus as well as sort of Internet tools. In brief, for this or for not, it was a satellite. Excuse me, no meteors yet from my view site!

Confident for better results, I wish you my best regards.

Long trains

Marco Valois