[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Perseids from Brazil

Star Greetings for all!

As I am recovering of a strong influenza, I was to the shelter of a beach
hut and for this I didn't have vision of the whole sky. Thus, I was just
limited to observe PER, some eventual August Eridanus and Spo that will
cross my vision field.
In the dawns of 10/11 and 12/13 the sky was not favorable to the observation
of meteors: (

As the occasion was favorable, to the sunset of the 10/11 and 11/12 August,
for the first time, I tried to observe impacts in the Moon, but I didn't get
to see none.

The observation of impacts in the Moon was accomplished by a net of amateur
observers formed by 35 people spread by the whole Brazilian territory. We
are still awaiting the arrival of the reports.

REPORT PERSEIDS - Aug. 11/12 2002 from Brazil

Main shower: PERSEIDS

Day: Aug.11/12, 2002
Begin: 6:32 UT
End:  7:48 UT

Observer: Rosely Gregio

Location: Long: 47.00.21 W
          Lat: 21.27.54 S
          Elevation: 680m

City & State: Mococa / São Paulo - Brazil

Field: Noth

Method: visual observation, chronometer and tape recorder of ribbon k-7

Sky quality:
Limiting magnitude: 4.0 mag.
Perseid Radiant shower of the very low in the North horizon.
Sky Obscured: 30%
Light pollution to North, Northwest, and with some fog and some smoke in the
air.
Temperature in 18 degrees and light breeze.

Constellation: Perseus:
Altitude: -5° 56' 28"
Azimuth: 50° 27' 8"

Constellation: Eridanus:
Altitude: +35° 2' 34"
Azimuth: 145° 51' 10"

Description for periods of 15 minutes:

FIRST PERIOD: 06:32 to 06:47 UT
hour UT shower mag speed trail       color   Note
06:372    Eri       -2     fast    long      white
06:398    Eri       +4    fast    short     yellow mosquito
06:400    Eri       +4    fast    short     yellow mosquito
06:424    Eri       +4    fast    short     yellow mosquito
06:477    Spo      -4    fast    medium yellow

SECOND PERIOD:  06:47 to 07:02 UT
none

THIRD PERIOD: 07:02 to 07:17 UT
hour UT shower mag speed    trail  color             Note
07:030    PER    -6     medium long White/yellow crossed 80 sky degrees
07:031    PER    -6     medium long White/yellow crossed 70 sky degrees
07:083    PER    -2     fast       long  yellow          Crossed 40 sky
degrees
07:178    Eri       -2    fast       short  yellow

FOURTH PERIOD:  07:17 to 07:32 UT
hour UT shower mag speed trail   color     Note
07:242    Eri       -5     fast    long  yellow
07:265    Spo     -1     fast    short yellow

FIFTH PERIOD:  07:32 to 07:48 UT
hour UT shower mag speed   trail  color Note
07:366    Eri       -2    medium long white crossed 80 sky degrees
07:379    Eri       -1    medium long white crossed 50 sky degrees
07:480 End of the observation

SUMMARY:

Distribution of Meteors Magnitude:

        PER: 2(-6), 1(-2)            tot: 03 meteors
         *Eri: 1(-5), 3(-2), 4(+4)  tot: 08 meteors
         Spo: 1(-4), 1(-1)            tot: 2 meteors
 total mag: 2(-6), 1(-5), 1(-4), 4(-2), 2(-1), 3(+4)
total of observerd meteors: 13
*Eri = AUGUST ERIDANIDS

FIRST PERIOD: 06:32 UT to 06:47 UT
PER: 0
Eri: 4
Spo: 1
total meteors: 05
Dead time: 1 min

SECOND PERIOD:  06:47 UT to 07:02
PER: 0
Eri: 0
Spo: 0
total meteors: 00
Dead time: 0 min

THIRD PERIOD: 07:02 to 07:17
PER: 3
Eri: 1
Spo: 0
total meteors: 04
Dead time: 1 min
Note: 7:14 UT the quality of the sky improved for mag it limits of 5, and
the wind that began to blow it dissipated the smoke.

FOURTH PERIOD:  07:17 to 07:32
PER: 0
Eri: 1
Spo: 1
total meteors: 02
Dead time: 1 min

FIFTH PERIOD:  07:32 to 07:48
PER: 0
Eri: 2
Spo: 0
total meteors: 02
Dead time: 0 min
07:48 UT - End of the observation

Total PERSEIDS: 3 meteors
Total August Eridanids: 8 meteors
Total sporadic: 2 meteors
Total meteors: 13

Total time:  2:20 h or 140 min
Total dead time:  3 min
Effective time:  2:17 or 137 min

Colors:
PER: yellow/white and yellow
Eri: white and yellow
Spo: yellow

Celestial hugs for all, and forgive me for such an extensive and detailed
report :)

R.Gregio
Mococa - SP - Lat.21.27.54S Long.47.00.21W
gregio@dglnet.com.br
http://www.constelacoes.hpg.com.br
http://membro.intermega.com.br/rgregio/
http://www.geocities.com/alnitack_br/