From: "Mark Fox" <unclefireballmtf@yahoo.com>
To: <meteorobs@atmob.org>
Cc: <sc.meteors@home.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 8:50 PM
Subject: (meteorobs) Having Perseid Perplexities---Need Help!

August 13, 2002

Greetings Meteor Enthusiasts!

A successful and interesting Perseid session was
accomplished during the early night of Aug. 11/12!
On this occasion, I was accompanied by my good nine
year-old-friend, Kelly whom I think got a kick out of
the display.  The brightness of the meteors were quite
impressive compared to last year, and almost everyone
had a breathtaking, simply outstanding train!

A full report of what transpired will hopefully be
done up soon, but...

Some questions need to be answered first.  During the
hunt, I tried to more or less keep my attention
towards the Big Dipper region and adjacent
constellations.  However, Kelly was focusing
everywhere and caught sight of many meteors that I
plain missed.  (This got me wondering if she is
better at spotting them than I am!)  Each time she
saw one she made certain she told me, and, with that
I quickly recorded the time and asked her the meteor's
direction and color.  There were also some meteors
that slipped past Kelly's guard that I only saw.

Afterwards, I soon pinpointed a problem with the hunt
if I were to compile it into a report.  How should I
send it and/or present the data?  Am I allowed to
combine the meteors that I missed into one report or
am I urged to split up the hunt into two separate
observations?   Each meteor was carefully recorded as
if I had seen it.  Splitting up the meteors according
to who saw what may be somewhat of a task, not to
mention a bit peculiar in the finished reports.  What
is I, or any meteor hunter to do in such a situation?
Please help!

Long Perseid Trains!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA