[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) "Electrophonic" Fireball sound nonsense

I checked the WWVB website, and they state that normally nighttime field strengths for their transmitter are at least 100uV/m^2 over most of North America. Converting units, this yields power density P (uW/cm^2) = 3.77*10^-8 * (field strength)^2 = 3.77*10^-4 = 0.000377 uW/cm^2.

So, the ambient background VLF from just ONE station is already on the same order of magnitude as the meteor electrophonics, as I estimated. There are at least 60 stations worldwide with similar output power and many will have overlapping coverage areas, therefore it does appear the electrophonics will be smothered in the VLF "noise".

Mike Linnolt