[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) "Electrophonic" Fireball sound nonsense

--- "Dr. Tony Phillips" <phillips@spacescience.com> wrote:
> Hi Mike,
>
> Below you calculate that the VLF power from a
> fireball is roughly
> equivalent to one strong VLF radio station.  Because
> there are 60 such
> stations worldwide, you conclude that VLF emissions
> from a fireball would
> be smothered by the ambient VLF background.
>
> The very same reasoning would lead you to conclude
> that WWVB itself is
> smothered by the ambient VLF background, because

Yes, it would if you were using a non-selective receiver like a membrane of foil or whatever was used in the lab tests on VLF (which I presume is the model of how human eyeglasses, teeth, etc. would be picking up these VLF). But, of course we all use radios to tune specific frequencies, so WWVB comes in loud and clear, even if a much stronger nearby frequency signal were present.

Regards,
Mike Linnolt