[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) 1.75 hr teff report, from KS Aug 11/12 (MATBE)

Well the cloud gods won the battle round here over the max period,
tho a brief perhaps 3 hour window was given to us in E Central KS
around the midnite hours on Aug. 11/12th.

I will start by saying by the time the second count period was at the half
hour mark I was becoming fatigued, tho I completed a .75 hr teff count,
after which I observed casually for a while longer.  Clouds, from a complex
of T-Storms moving E from Western KS were upon me by the 2AM hr.
anyway, which alleviated being upset with being tired.  I guess running
the night before was catching up with me, did not get enough rest during
the afternoon!

The show from the Perseids was better than the night before for sure,
but I saw nothing over -1 this nite.

Observation site - 39.66 N at Louisberg Middle Creek State Lake Site,
                           28.5 miles S of Overland Park KS

Zenithal Star - 6.25 first hr.
                     6.15 2nd :45, haze encroaching from the West but not a
                     factor yet.

TOTAL METEORS - 42, + 9 more casuals.

1120-1220am (23) 14 P, 1 SIA, 1 ACap, 1 NPX, 6 S
1220-0105am (19) 11 P, 2 SIA, 1 KapC, 1 NDA, 4 S
Casuals -       ( 9)   8 P, 1 SIA near the radiant.

15 trains from the Perseids, out of 33, 45.45%.

While heavy on -1 to 1 mag. meteors, there was also a #
of well seen fainter Perseids too.  A below average show
for 2002.  Broad increase to peak activity, my obs. had
good activity on Aug. 8 & 9 of similar levels.

I recorded a -1 BlueWhite Perseid at 1224 am with a 3 sec.
train, followed a few min. later by a nice mag. 1 up thru Cass.
with a 2 sec. train, about 1215am had a nice mag. 2 slow falling
Alpha Capricornid to the N falling past the Perseid radiant.
Shortly after midnight Dr. Flescher I have records of mag. 1 and
mag. 0 Perseids, the second with a 1.5 sec. train, which might
have been both the meteors you were commenting on in your post.

Still have the Aug. 10-11 report to send in!

Regards from E Central KS,

Bert Matous