[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) "Electrophonic" Fireball sound nonsense

Hi Kevin
I know im flogging a dead horse here , but i too have heard the legendary
audible fireball on one occasion {in 8 years of deliberate obs}....i do hope
its not some form of mass hallucination!!!! hehe...dot it was in the vicinity
of 1 am local time 17th nov 1998 ( South Australia ) - about 15:30 16th nov
1998 U.T. It was an around - 10 Leonid , horizon to horizon , earthgrazing
fireball , It travelled from east to west , seemingly very slowly , and
lasted around 3-4 seconds at a guess . It also left a wide bright lasting
train .

There was three of us present at the remote dark site at the time- east of
Adelaide S.A -  to observe the Leonids that night ,and we all definitely
heard it loud and clear ....... i would liken the sound very much to a more
dramatic version of the sound you get of static electricity, when two
statically charged items of clothing ( i.e pullovers,jumpers ) are seperated
or taken off against each other after some reasonable length of contact ...
not very scientific i agree ...but my version sorry :-)   i sort of spitting
,  hissing , crackling , party sparkler  kind of sound .

The sound generated from the fireball Leonid that we saw that night , did
seem also to have an aural-hallucinatary quality to it . In as much as it
didnt seem to matter in what direction you faced , or if you looked at the
ground and up at the sky , the volume and intensity of sounds remained
seemingly constant ,and seemed to come from the ground up more so. Which is
of course the opposite to normal directional soundwaves . The sound also
seemed to have an artificial tone about it as well , like something from a
1950s science fiction movie.

I also have an multi-witnessed anecdotal account from long time astronomy
friends, of an audible fireball at around the time of Halleys comet in 1986
also from near Adelaide , when they were on of a viewing of the comet
(Halleys Comet was nothing to do with the fireball i presume ).
 They saw a huge fireball slowly make its way towards south east of their
location with many outbursts and a very loud hissing crackling sound as it
went...the fireball even made it to terra firma near Melbourne (as reported
in the newspaper and in the media the following day, as it was widely
witnessed ) 800 km east / south east of their location..

Well thats my two cents worth ,i guess we should just be grateful Kevin that
you and i are amongst the lucky ones,  that has been privy to an very
interesting Phenomenon of nature.
Regards
Kearn Jones