[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Noise

From the general discussion on the electrophonic sound of meteors, I
sense from some for the members a sense of being "Cheated for not
hearing a meteor."

The initial though was big  meteors create a sonic boom, to only
Fireballs greater than -6 mag create electromagnetic radiation. Now the
thoughts are all meteors regardless of size - may produce
electromagnetic noise.  There is a chance that all meteors entering the
atmosphere may be contributors to the sefanic chorus. The creaks and
tweeks were originally though to be created by the upper atmosphere from
cosmic radiation from the sun. Now the thought is meteors may be a
factor.

As for everyone hearing the noise without  a proper detector, I am
skeptical too. Meteors can be heard with VLF receivers. With this I am
comfortable.

If the conditions are right, and what are the right conditions? We all
may hear a meteor with out an electronic receiver.

In  my part of central Pennsylvania I have heard stories of bears being
seen. My family saw a bear moving through the back yard. Neighbors told
me about seeing bears. I felt that it was their imagination. No one
could show me a track. Coming home one evening,  a few years back I saw
my first bear. Are their bears in central Pennsylvania.  Yes.  Until I
saw one for my self I didn't believe it possible,

George John Drobnock