[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Crabby Perseids observations from SC

Hi All,
        My  British-born cousin, Steve Page, who lives on (and watches the stars from) Hilton Head Island sent me the following humorous e-mail concerning his Perseid watch this year.  My gosh, he must have great perception, given the numbers he reported!
Kim Y.

Had a real good showing yesterday a.m.
I arrived @ 4:30 a.m. layed a blanket on the beach with a cup of joe and
observed away!  caught a mag 2 with a 3 - 4 sec trail, and clocked 1 meteor
per minute for an hour and 15 min which was was predicted @ 60 per hr
       I now know the value of lawn recliners even on the beach. As I was
observing I kept feeling something touching my legs. So I finally grabbed my
flashlight after about 10 min of this and found myself surrounded by "CRABS"
I guess they were hoping I'd be their mortified morsel for the morning.I
immediately thought about the body on the beach in "jaws" and decided to sit
up the rest of the viewing. OH my neck!!!

Steve