[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fireballs ,meteor sounds, nomenclature etc,

Aug. 15, 2002

Greetings Mr. Ed Majden and Fellow Meteor Enthusiasts!

If you were to look in the listings of the
Meteoritical Bulletin, you will notice the many
strange sounds that have been reported to accompany
meteorite falls.  I believe some of those either refer
to the "simultaneous sound" phenomenon that is being
discussed or were heard during certain meteorite falls
even though they were not mentioned in the print.

As for meteors with a cometary origin being quite
different from asteroidal ones; let us not forget that
the "comet snowball" theory does not quite satisfy the
questions raised with the close-up pictures of the
latest comet fly-by.  From what I gathered, it is a
lot more barren and/or dry on one than anyone
expected.  I have long suspected this.

Long Perseid trains!

Mark Fox
Newaygo, MI USA