[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Aug. 10/11 Perseid ob.s Winchester KS (MATBE & MATAS)

Location - 95 deg. 18' W long
               +39.3 deg. N lat

On this particular night, which turned out to have abysmal Perseid activity,
we fled North, then Northwest searching for non-hazed out skies.

We got about 1.5 miles NW of the tiny farm community of Winchester, KS
and proceeded with 2.5 hr.s teff run consecutively from 1135pm local CST.
We logged 42 and 41 meteors total in zenithal 6.0 skies, observing with me
was my 10 yr. old daughter Ashley.

Some interesting things this evening.  Out of the total meteors logged,
both of us centered on watching N to NNW at 70 degrees elevation,
we both only saw 18 of the meteors confirmed by the other observer.

It was a pleasure to watch due N with dark skies in that direction to the
horizon, not poss. from my usual site due to KC metro skydome light.

Our counts on the indiv. hour follow =

1135-1235am BGM (15) 3P, 1 KC, 2 SIA, 1 NDA, 8 Spor
                     ADM (12) 3P, 1 KC, 1 SIA, 1 ACap, 6 Spor

1235-0135am BGM (15) 5P, 2 NPX, 8 Spor
                     ADM (16) 7P, 2 NPX, 7 Spor

0135-0205am BGM (12) 7P, 1 NPX, 4 Spor
                     ADM (13) 4P, 1 NPX, 9 Spor

Highlights this night:

Three more converging meteors from Lacerta region, one
in each time period.  The time to look for activity from this
area will be more productive in my opinion Aug 7-9 in the next
cpl. years.

Ashley in the last half hour time period had three sporadics
in less than 20 sec. in Cygnus, while I was watching down NE
of that at that time in Cass. region.

The biggest meteor event of the summer campaign was witnessed
at 144 am, a wonderful -4 with two minor terminal bursts Perseid,
a bit higher than Polaris thru Ursa Minor.  43 second glowing train,
color was orange to violet for most of the flight, no train drift to speak of.
We both really liked that one!  I also had two -1's PER,  Ashley had one
of them.

Quit at 205am to be able to make the drive home without serious fatique.
73.5 miles NW of my home, about 105 miles NNW of my usual location.

My next report will be capsule summary of magnitude/train breakdowns
of meteors July 30-Aug. 12th, and totals thru the period.  A good dose
of meteors to start my last half of the year.  Good to get out and watch!

Regards,

Bert and Ashley Matous