[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Sandia Perseid Composites

Hi Ed,
  Being in a moderate to high light pollution area, the background noise
forces me to set the thershold on the El Paso Sentinel automated system so
high that detections are limited to -6 mag! Therefore I detected only about
a dozen or so Perseids over the three night peak vs Sandia's 63 or more with
the fisheye and [only] 30 for the mirror. I agree that aging of electronics
and the mirror surface itself is a problem. Dick wants to have all stations
on the fisheye system asap and has ordered what he calls "a bunch" of lenses
to begin the upgrade.
  Joe Chavez' star capture software isn't quite perfected yet but should
provide more accuracy when it is completed.
  Indeed, a compromise but I couldn't agree more. With the ever increasing
number of all sky stations, sooner or later a major impactor will occur and
will likely be detected by one or more of them allowing for faster recovery
and better research and, after all, that's what we're all about. So, "onward
and upward" or should it be downward :-))
  Thanks, Ed.
Regards,
Jim Gamble
El Paso, Tx Station-Sandia Meteor Detection Network
All Sky Camera System
31.47N 106.18W
gamble@peoplepc.com
http://www.geocities.com/desert_lights