[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) OT question about 'moon beams'

sorry to digress here group, but i can't find any info and i figured that
someone here might have the answer to this.

i am a member of another list (we're all Boxer owners/lovers...dogs, not prize
fighters!!)and topics sometimes range far afield. i have permission to use my
friend's question to ask you knowledgable folks if you have an answer or can
point us in the right direction to get answers. thanks, sorry for the digression
but it looks like a slow week here anyway.

thanks in advance,
arlene in western turkey

this is the posting from the Boxer group:

Sorry, I know this is off topic (unless your dog likes to howl at the moon),
but I'm just curious if anyone else has ever seen a "moon beam"?  Last night
conditions must have been just right - bright moon, hazy atmosphere.  I was
driving and kept seeing what looked like a beam of light from an airport
beacon except that it was just a solid beam of light, not flashing about the
sky.   I came over a hill and my chin dropped when I saw that it was a beam
of light 'coming from' the moon and shining straight through the sky.
Really awesome!  Of course by the time I got home and had my husband and a
neighbor get out to look, the moon's position in the sky had changed and it
was no longer visible, so they think I was seeing things.  Just wondering if
anyone else can corroborate that such a thing does indeed happen, so they
don't think I'm crazy(-er than they already think I am :-)

********