[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Observation 9/08/02 AM from KS (MATBE)

Went to work early on Saturday AM looking at the deep blue sky that was
prevalent that morning, then saw the DAU report in from that AM, so I planned
on doing some observing on Sunday AM the 8th of September.  A small band of
N-most T.S. Fay rotated thru my area starting around 9PM for an hour or
two, then was gone.  I spent that time refreshing my memory with some star
chart and radiant work off the internet, then rolled S to my site during the
11pm
hour, 28.5 miles S of Overland Park KS.

First off, the sky was not it's usual dark-sky clarity, I believe due to
excessive
heat/humidity for the past several days, I should of went on Sat. AM instead,
but
since I was there I set up and observed for 1.5 hr.s.

Site - Louisberg Middle Creek State Fishing Lake, 38.5 N 94 37' W
Zenithal Star was 5.9
Facing E at 55-70 thruout.
Total Time 1155pm to 125AM CST 0555-0725UT

Meteors totaled 17.  First one in during the session was a slow
magnificent Kappa Aquarid N to S high in the West traveling 30
degrees during the time I picked it up, at mag 0.5.

I recorded 3 ANT's, 1 NPX, 3 DAU's, one ambiguous NPX or DAU (it
lined up perfectly with both, but I strongly lean toward the NPX as it
was similar to the other NPX), 1 KAq, 7 sporadics, & one Aries-Triangulid.

A sporadic was mag. +1, while I had a +2 ANT and a +2 sporadic, everything
else was +3 or fainter.

Thought the Aquarid complex of August was responsible for 2 of the sporadics
but did not have radiant info. on them with me, but were probably NIA's.
Was surprised at the Anthelion activitiy.  My intense ragweed allergies
and sky condition stopped me at 1.5 hr.s last nite, I need a cold front thru
here!  (Maybe mid-week).

Regards from Overland Park KS,

Bert Matous