[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Shuttle in orbit during the Leonids?

    I'm a little surprised to see that the STS-113 mission has been targeted
to be in orbit during the November 10-20 interval (see below).  This of
course means that a Space Shuttle will be in space during the time that the
Leonids are anticipated to reach storm levels (on November 19).  I guess,
based on what happened last November the various Mission managers feel that
the two outbursts forecast this year will have little effect either on the
ISS or the Shuttle itself.

    Recall that in August 1993, NASA delayed the launch of a Shuttle into
orbit because of the fear of possible high activity from the Perseids.  --
joe rao

MISSION: STS-113 - 16th ISS Flight (11A) - P1 Truss Segment
VEHICLE: Endeavour/OV-105
TARGET LAUNCH DATE: NET Nov. 10, 2002
TARGET LANDING DATE: Nov. 20, 2002
MISSION DURATION: 11 days
CREW: Wetherbee, Lockhart, Lopez-Alegria, Herrington; (ISS up) Bowersox,
Budarin, Pettit; (ISS down) Korzun, Whitson, Treschev
ORBITAL INSERTION ALTITUDE AND INCLINATION: 122 nautical miles/51.6 degrees

Shuttle Processing Note: Mission managers today approved a new target launch
date of no earlier than Nov. 10. Endeavour's forward and aft closeouts
continue in preparation for its upcoming launch to the International Space
Station. The Manipulator Positioning Mechanism that is attached to the
Remote Manipulator System was cycled and a gap was noted. Engineers will
evaluate and determine the necessary steps to correct the problem.