[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) meteor grazer observability

Hi all;

Joe Rao gave a good response to the earth grazer possibilities for the
Leonids.  I just wanted to add I sent an article in to WGN on the general
visibility of grazers and pointer meteors that should be out in the next
issue before November.

In summary: using a meteor simulation analysis one can show that to observe
grazers that reach above 30 degrees elevation, the radiant must be between 2
degrees below the horizon to 3 degrees above the horizon. For the Leonids
the peak times are 4:03 and 10:40 UT so you need to work out the local times
the Leonid radiant meets the elevation criteria given your latitude. For
northern latitudes the duration is roughly one-half hour but at the equator
this can last for up to 40 minutes.

Pete
peter.s.gural@saic.com