[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Meteor Obs. Sept.13/14

   We had clear skies for three hours before the clouds rolled in to end the
show last Saturday morning, September 13/14, from Mathias, West Virginia with
a magnitude limit that varied from 6.3 starting to 6.1 the last hour before
the clouds came in. However, those three hours had some fair meteor activity.

   From 4:00 to 7:00 UT, 54 meteors were observed. The most active radiant was
the Southern Piscids (SPI), which had 10 meteors; this was followed by the
Aries-Triangulids (ATR),"September Taurids" (SET), and the September Perseids
(SPR), which all produced 6 meteors apiece. The Aries-Triangulids lived up to
their namesake, showing 3 meteors from the Alpha Trianguli branch and 3 from
the Alpha Arietis branch respectively, but some of this low activity may have
been chance alignments. The Kappa Aquarids also showed some good activity,
with four slow meteors being seen from that radiant during this time interval.

   It was also very nice to catch Algol by chance near mid-eclipse just after
midnight, and to watch it as it got brighter during the next three hours of
meteor observation. I'll be sending a full meteor report to AMS later. Below
is a brief summary.

               September 13/14, 2002 - Mathias, West Virginia

  Time (UT)  LM  % Obst. KAQ  SPI  SET  ATR  SPR  NPX  SPX  SPO  Total   FOV
04:00-05:00  6.3    0%    2    3    1    1    2    0    0    7    16   1.2 +35
05:00-06:00  6.3    0%    2    3    3    3    2    1    0    6    20   2.0 +32
06:00-07:00  6.1   10%    0    4    2    2    2    1    1    6    18   3.3 +28

Note:

SET = "September Taurids"
SPR = September Perseids (Epsilon Perseids/Delta Aurigids)
NPX = Northern Apex
SPX = Southern Apex

Clear Skies,
GWG