[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) meteor grazer observability - LENOIDS

--- Mark777ebay@aol.com wrote:

> >For the Leonids the peak times are 4:03 and 10:40
> UT so you
> > need to work out the local times the Leonid
> radiant meets
> > the elevation criteria given your latitude. For
> > northern latitudes the duration is roughly
> one-half hour but
> > at the equator this can last for up to 40 minutes.
>
> Perhaps i could ask an amateur question.. from the
> prevoius post, i thought most earthgrazer activity
> would be in NE/Canada...  is it possible to see
> earthgrazers from first lenoid peak in South
> Carolina/North Carolina for example?  I guess i
> should not ask.. possible... but is there a
> signficant activity likely?

Mark,

The best location for seeing earthgrazers at the time of the 0400UT peak will be around a line passing from Delaware to western NY state. The radiant will just be rising (11pm Nov 18) at the peak time in that region. In Charleston, SC the radiant rises around 11:35pm Nov 18, which is about 35 minutes past the 0400UT peak. There may still be a significant number of earthgrazers if that peak is broad enough and rates high as predicted. The 1040UT peak may produce earthgrazers from the Hawaii region, but the main islands are just a bit too far east to catch the exact radiant rise at that time. Kauai island, on the west side of the chain would give the best show.

Mike Linnolt