[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteors and meteorology - some more about meteorology

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 mvallois@hotlink.com.br wrote:

>Meteors and meteorology, both have the same prefix. Prefix means an
>element that is added to the beginning of the word. What comes next
>is what makes the difference and the amount of the words that we have
>in a language. For example: METEOR and METERology have good and different
>meanings. Meteor is an phenomenon that comes from the cosmos, atmosphere
>in the general understanding; and meteorology is the study of all
>phenomenan that comes from the atmosphere.

I'm not sure I understand you correctly here, but what Ed said was correct.
A meteor or shooting star was previously believed to be a weather phenomenon
and a raindrop was a hydrometeor.  That meteors are now known to be caused
by particles from beyond the atmosphere isn't relevant either, as the
particles in space are defined as *meteoroids* (in a sense, particles
capable of producing meteors in an atmosphere).  Thus, meteors in the
original or modern definitions are intricately related to the atmosphere.

Follow-Ups: References: