[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Meteors and meteorology - some more about meteorology

----- Original Message -----
From: Grigorios Maravelias <ge99010@mail.ntua.gr>
To: Petros <petros1gr@netscapedot net>; <meteorobs@atmob.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 26, 2002 9:50 AM
Subject: Re: (meteorobs) Meteors and meteorology - some more about
meteorology

> Hello to all!
>
> These words come from the Greek language and more accurate from the
ancient
> Greek.
>
> METEOR and METEOROLOGY comes from the root "METEOROS" which is an
adjective
> in Greek. It is a compound word from "meta" + "aero".
> (pronounce "meta" as you see it except for e which is pronounced as "ai"
> like air, and means *through , by*.  "aero" is prounounced:  a...e...ro,
but
> this is not actually the case!Anyway, it means *lift*).
> So, the meaning of "METEOROS" is that something happens or can be found in
> the air (or atmosphere).
>
> METEOROLOGY is the noun from "METEOROS" and means the study of "things"
> (=phenomena) in the atmosphere.
> METEOR is every phenomenon that occurs in the atmosphere
> (thunders,rainbows,etc) including shooting stars! A wide category..
>
> So, i believe the wrong question has been asked:
> " If a meteor is an moving object in the universe, how did we chose the
word
> meteorology for the study of the atmosphere (and its relationship to
> weather) -- it seems that the two words don't really have a relationship."
>
> We didn't find out that meteor is an moving object in the universe and
then
> name it. We have created these words initially and then applied them to
any
> existing objects. In the beginning they didn't know that these objects
come
> from space so it was logical to include these "shooting stars" as
> atmospheric phenomena!
> Now we may have got used to call them meteors as we have already named the
> other atmospheric phenomena. In a way there is the need to find a diferent
> name..
>
> In Greek, we have another specific word for meteors (except the well known
> "falling stars"):
> "DIATTONTES"
> (pronounce it as you see it except for a like ah.. and e like "ai". I
cannot
> describe any further the pronunciation...We should meet to tell you!!
> ))))  ). Unfortunately, i haven' t found the words from which it comes
> from...
>
> So there is a strong connection between METEOR and METEOROLOGY.
> In that way the meteorologists should also be interested in our "falling
> stars" !!
>
> Best wishes,
> Grigoris Maravalias
>
> e-mail: ge99010@mail.ntua.gr
> web: http://users.ntua.gr/ge99010

And,
> > of course, there are different meanings for both words.
> >
> > Bill question was very convinient and appropriated for the list, I
myself
> > tried to take a look at the Dictionary. They are very likely. So, my
> opinion
> > above is NOT against yours. You were direct and technical in
details.Good
> > job!
> >
> > Although, Meteors are from particles from cosmos that are seen due - on
> the
> > most - to the sun light. What we see from the Earth, but now  in the
> > *atmosphere* can be meteors, earthgrazers, falling stars, and other
> > phenomena related to the astronomy in general. N.B.: Excuse for my fast
> > typing way and mispelled English words on the note.
> >
> > Nice Moon, Marco Valois
> > >

> > The archive and Web site for our list is at http://www.meteorobs.org
> > To stop getting all email from the 'meteorobs' lists, use our Webform:
> > http://www.meteorobs.org/subscribe.html
> >

> The archive and Web site for our list is at http://www.meteorobs.org
> To stop getting all email from the 'meteorobs' lists, use our Webform:
> http://www.meteorobs.org/subscribe.html

___________________________

Great Gregorios!

Good responses I got from the list concerning METEOR and METEORology these
days, this kind of discussion is very well appreciated. Besides, the moon,
and the amount of meteors are not so intense as they were during the Leonids
and Perseids period.

So, one question comes to me which I haven't got their meaning for two
friends that are demanding me answers about them. Is the following: since
both come from outer space, what is the difference that fits best for
meteors and asteroides.

Marco Valois

Follow-Ups: References: